The judge, court administrator or a police officer may suggest that the parties in a conflict try to settle their differences through mediation. This is a confidential process, which allows the parties to meet with a trained mediator who will aid them in resolving their dispute. You may request mediation before your court date or instead of filing a formal complaint, and the court will decide if your case is eligible. Neighborhood disputes are often resolved best through mediation.