Selling Your Home?

If you are selling or renting your house, condominium, or townhouse it is important that the owner obtain a Certificate of Continued Occupancy (CCO) and a smoke detector / carbon monoxide certificate as required by New Jersey State Law.

  • In an effort to avoid any inconvenience and possible delay of a scheduled house closing or renter possession, the following information is provided, as a guide only, to address some of the requirements necessary to have a CCO issued.
  • If there has been any construction, electrical or plumbing work done, the owner must ensure that all the permit inspections are conducted and the permits are closed.
  • If there were any outstanding Zoning or Property maintenance violations that were issued, they would be required to be abated.
  • If the house has a sump pump, it cannot be connected to the sanitary sewer. The sump pump is to be directed outside in a manner that does not create a problem with the contiguous properties.
  • A survey of the property is necessary.
  • The "use" of the house will be verified concerning the number of dwelling units (one family, two family, etc.).

The Montvale Fire Prevention Bureau will enforce the requirement of the smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm certificate. This requirement is the installation of a battery-operated smoke detector on each level and outside all bedroom doors within 10 feet. In addition, a battery powered carbon monoxide alarm is to be installed outside all bedroom doors. THIS CERTIFICATION IS REQUIRED FOR YOUR CLOSING/RENTAL. An application for a CCO can be obtained at the Building Dept. or by calling 201-391-5732 ext. 222 and Smoke Detector Certification may be obtained at the Building Dept. or by calling Fire Prevention at 201-391-5700 ext. 258.

PLEASE do not wait until the last minute to apply and schedule your inspections for your required certificates. Time is required to process the application, conduct the inspections and correct anything, if necessary. Your closing or rental occupancy will be delayed if the certificate is not issued.

Before beginning any work, please contact the Construction Office to see if a permit is required. Another important fact homeowners are unaware of is that when a permit is obtained for work being done, the homeowner is the owner of that permit and they MUST get the proper inspections pertaining to the work. When the work is completed, a final inspection must be done. New Jersey State Law, 13:45A-16.2 states, Final Inspections Required before final payment is made to Contractors.

If you have any questions regarding whether a permit is required or not, please give us a call at 201-391-5732.

Did You Know?

It is required that every home in the Borough has a house number on it. The number should be at least 3 x 6 inches in size; this is in the interest of public safety and for the homeowner's benefit.


Doing Some Fixing Up? 

Effective January 1, 2017, all architectural plans must be submitted with a PDF copy of the plans on a disk. 

Many homeowners are unaware that permits are required for the following:

  • Accessory Structures (Sheds)
  • Additions
  • Air Conditioning (New & Replacement)
  • All Interior Renovations
  • Basement Renovations
  • Bathroom Renovations
  • Burglar Alarm Systems
  • Decks (New & Replacement)
  • Doors / Windows
  • Driveways (New & Replacements)
  • Electrical Upgrades
  • Fences (New & Replacement)
  • Furnace Conversions
  • Furnaces (New & Replacemen)
  • Generator Installations
  • Heating Systems (New & Replacements)
  • Kitchen Renovations
  • Paver Patios
  • Pods / Dumpsters
  • Pools (Above and In-ground)
  • Retaining Walls - All Heights
  • Roofs (New & Replacement
  • Siding
  • Site Work (Soil Movement, Landscaping, Etc)
  • Solar Panels
  • Water Heaters (New & Replacement)

If you have any questions regarding whether a permit is required or not, please give us a call at 201- 391-5732.