Public Works Public Works Information
Curbside pickup of yard waste is collected on Friday from April to mid-October.
- Branches, brush and twigs: To be bundled and tied or placed in containers. Cut to 4 feet in length, and not to exceed 4 inches in diameter.
- Grass Clippings: Collected on Friday from April to mid-October. Place clippings in re-usable container.
- Logs and Stumps: Residents are responsible for the disposal of logs and stumps at their own expense. Logs and stumps are NOT accepted at the Recycling Center.
Fall Leaf Collection Program
Curbside pickup of leaves in PAPER LEAF BAGS are collected on Friday from mid-October to mid/late December.
Fall Leaf collection does not include branches, brush and twigs. These items may be brought to the Recycling Center on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday between the hours of 8:00 am and 3:00 pm.
No one likes them. They seem to pop up overnight. In reality, potholes are created in a number of ways. When water seeps into cracks on the road's surface and is combined with the vibration of traffic it causes the asphalt to fail. This is why there are more potholes after it rains. Potholes are also created when trucks and buses stress the roadway causing a movement of the subsurface. Once there is a weak spot, every car that travels over it worsens the problem, and eventually a section of the material will fail. The most common cause is the freeze/thaw cycle. The ice/snow melts during the day filling cracks with water. At night the water freezes and expands, popping out the asphalt.
All municipal roads are done through the Department of Public Works. The Department of Public Works will report all potholes on county roads to the Bergen County Road Department.
Residents are reminded that local ordinances prohibit placing leaf piles at the curb.
Bulk Household Items
Bulky items are collected by appointment only. Call Westphal Waste Services at (201) 784-2222.
- Bulky household metal appliances: refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, washers and dryers, grills, hot water heaters are collected by appointment only.
Other Bulky Items
- Other items, such as rugs, mattresses and box springs, sofas, chairs, etc.
- Rugs may be placed out if they are cut into 3-foot strips and tied. Rugs are not to weigh more than 40 pounds per bundles.
- Residents are requested not to place more than 3-4 bulky items per pick-ups.
The following electronic equipment is NOT picked up at curbside and are accepted at the Montvale Recycling Center: televisions, stereos, cell phones, computers, answering machines, printers, DVD players, VCR’s, fax machines, Laptops, I-Pads, I-Pods.
Construction debris is not covered under our municipal contract. Westphal Waste Services is not required to collect construction debris. Residents should be advised that if they are contemplating any construction projects they should require the contractor to remove all debris. DIYs (Do It Yourselfers) should make private arrangements for the removal of debris.
Household Hazardous Waste
The Bergen County Utilities Authority (BCUA) operates a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) management and disposal program for all Bergen County residents. Montvale Recycling Center cannot accept any municipal solid waste that is listed as hazardous waste. For questions regarding hazardous waste call 201-641-2552 or visit BCUA website, www.bcua.org for additional information regarding the collection dates and times.