Monday - Friday
8:30 - 4:30
12 Mercedes Drive
Montvale, NJ 07645

2020 Election Information


Election Information

The information below may not apply to 2020



General & School Board Election

  • Tuesday immediately following the first Monday in November
  • Polls are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Primary Elections

  • Tuesday immediately following the first Monday in June
  • Polls are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Additional Information

Where Do I vote?


 How do I vote?

  • For information about registering to vote, visit see below
  • Once registered, a sample ballot and instructions will be mailed prior to every election


For any information regarding Voter Registration Information or elections, please contact Maureen Iarossi-Alwan, Municipal Clerk by calling 201-391-5700 ext. 219 with your questions. 

Voting Information

To register to vote you must be:

  • a US Citizen
  • at least 18 years old on or before the next election, and
  • residing at your present address for at least 30 days.
  • You are not eligible to register or vote if you are on parole or probation, or if you are serving a prison sentence for violating State or Federal law.


Where is registration held?

Mail-in registration forms are available at:

  • Bergen County Commissioner of Registration in HackensackOne Bergen Plaza, Room 380
  • The Office of the Municipal Clerk at the Municipal Complex, 12 Mercedes Drive, Montvale, NJ  |   M-F 8:30-4:30

Registrations can not be faxed; they require original signatures. 

When do you register?

  • Registration is conducted throughout the year.
  • To be eligible to vote in a school, primary, presidential primary, general, or special election, you must register at least 21 days before that election.
  • Registration in Bergen County is considered permanent as long as you reside in the same district; however, if you do not vote in four (4) consecutive general elections, you will have to re-register.


What do I do if I move? 

  • Complete a mail-in registration form (check off 'new address' on the form)
  • Obtain a Change of Address card at the Office of the Borough Clerk in Montvale, and mail it to the Bergen County Commissioner of Registration, One Bergen Plaza, Room 380, Hackensack, NJ 07601.

Whichever method is chosen, the registered voter must sign it; it can not be faxed.

What to do if you move within Bergen County, but you fail to re-register?

The National Voter Registration Act ("NVRA"), a Federal law enacted in 1993, was intended primarily to expand voter registration opportunities and to allow for the continued voting eligibility of a voter who was registered to vote in one municipality, moves within the county, but fails to re-register to vote from the new address. This protection applies to any registered voter who makes an in-county move, regardless of when it occurs before an election. On Election Day, the voter can go to the polling place in their new voting district and execute a paper Provisional Ballot by requesting one from the district board worker. The district board worker will explain the process for completing the Provisional Ballot.

What to do if you change your name?

You must re-register to vote. However, if the change occurs within 21 days of an election, you are permitted to vote only at that next election after signing the register with both your old and new names. You MUST re-register before being permitted to vote in any other elections.